Help keep this site alive with your VIP membership and unlock exciting site features available only to our supporting members!
VIP
$14.95
Buy Now!
MVP
$24.95
Buy Now!
Superstar
$34.95
Buy Now!
UPGRADE to get lifetime access to dig420's video section, the Meet Up! forums, AD FREE surfing and much, much more!

Slaves

• Thread starterRedNeckWM
  • Start date

RedNeckWM

Slut Lover!
Beloved Member
Feb 26, 2004
When white men owned slaves and their wifes or daughters had a black baby what happen?Was the wife or daughter sold as a slave too/Did they get to keep the baby and rase it as a white baby?Where can i find the answers to this ? Google or yahoo has nothing.

Look to the TV mini-series "Roots"

When white men owned slaves and their wifes or daughters had a black baby what happen?Was the wife or daughter sold as a slave too/Did they get to keep the baby and rase it as a white baby?Where can i find the answers to this ? Google or yahoo has nothing.

I'm using a bit of imagination here...and I'm not sure if you can get anything from the TV mini-series "Roots." (On DVD and VHS.) If you rent it, you'll learn about a character called Kunta Kinte. (Pardon my spelling of the character.) He got married to another slave, and their daughter was sold to another slave owner.

Regarding a white wife of a slave owner, I wouldn't know. The wife would be thrown out, and the baby sold. (Back then, interracial relations were beyond taboo.)

That would be my sole guess...regarding the topic. I would be surprised if a black baby was raised white. I don't know if records will be kept regarding this issue.

Note, I hinted at the word, "Taboo." lol

As far as I know they followed the 'one drop' rule back then. If you had one drop of black blood in your veins you were black period. If fact I think any white woman who was caught fucking a black man back then might be sold as a slave too. No 'respectable' white man would have her as a wife or GF.

Rhino said:

As far as I know they followed the 'one drop' rule back then. If you had one drop of black blood in your veins you were black period. If fact I think any white woman who was caught fucking a black man back then might be sold as a slave too. No 'respectable' white man would have her as a wife or GF.

The 'One Drop rule' was something I didn't elaborate on...except when tracing MY family history. (Long story aside...my aunt kept me from pursuing this mystery of my family tree.) :(

Rhino...it would shock me a little if history has recorded a white woman being sold as a slave. The Abolsionists in Virginia had one member, who was Black...married to a white woman. (Can't remember the name...AAAARRRRRGHHH!) The Marines (Pre-Civil War) killed him at Harper's Ferry, and 'saved' the maiden. (Surprisingly, she wasn't sold into slavery - since it was just before the Civil War.)

One of the FEW times where I have to frown on military history...the fact being I am a FORMER Marine. (Yeah, Yeah...I should KNOW this. lol)

I did a little research and found this on www.multiracial.com...

Regardless of the legal criteria established for being a white person, it is a fact that many white people remained enslaved under the partus rule….

… Reverend John H. Aughey lived in the South for eleven years and had both white and black congregations. He told of preaching to slaves, some with red hair and blue eyes, a third of whom were just as white as he was. Dr. Alexander Milton Ross attended a slave auction in New Orleans where many of the slaves were "much whiter" than the white people who were there. In Lexington, Kentucky, Reverend Calvin Fairbank described a woman who was going to be sold at a slave auction as "one of the most beautiful and exquisite young girls one could expect to find in freedom or slavery....being only one sixty-fourth African." After the Union had won the Battle of New Bern, North Carolina in 1862, Major General Burnside assigned Vincent Coyler to be superintendent of the poor. Coyler expressed disbelief at the complexions he saw. "The light color of many of the refugees is a marked peculiarity of the colored people of Newbern. I have had men and women apply for work who were so white that I could not believe they had a particle of negro blood in their veins."

…..White slavery was read about in the accounts of travelers who visited the South and in Southern newspaper advertisements for white runaway slaves. Another source of information concerning white slavery was articles in newspapers. A notable piece entitled "White Slaves," concerning a white woman and her two children who were offered for sale at a slave auction, appeared in 1821 in a Maryland newspaper, the Niles' Weekly Register. "This woman and children were as white as any of our citizens, indeed we scarcely ever saw a child with a fairer or clearer complexion than the younger one....there was something so revolting to the feelings, at the sight of this woman and children...it brought to recollection so forcibly the morality of slave-holding states--that not a person was found to make an offer for them." Even though many in the South expressed an aversion to buying white slave children, the feeling was certainly not universal. In fact, for some, the pretense of a white mulatto child was unnecessary and children known to be completely white were bought and sold outright. William Chambers traveled in Kentucky and Virginia in 1853 and noted that "it is understood that numbers of purely Anglo-American children pass into slavery....many of them are carried to the markets of the south, where a good price for them can be readily obtained." The "White Slaves" article is interesting from another standpoint because it questioned the partus rule. In referring to the white children no one wanted to purchase because of their white color, the article stated, "The legal maxim of par. seq. vent. has made them slaves for life, and the same maxim will make the offspring of these children slaves. Who can think of this and not shudder? Can there not be, ought there not to be, some limitation, some bounds fixed to this principle? We trust we shall not see a second attempt to sell them in this town." An editorial comment followed. "White is the fashion in the United States, and surely some measure should be adopted to cause the color to be respected, seeing that we depend so much upon it!" What makes this article so unusual is that it was originally published in Kentucky and was reprinted in Maryland--both slave states. Of course, back in 1821 the organized abolitionist movement had yet to really be established and things were relatively calm between North and South. Such an editorial was no doubt dismissed as harmless dissent. As tension mounted in the decades which followed, however, publishing an article which questioned slavery being based on the partus rule, the immutable legal principle held universally throughout the South, would have been unthinkable. The Chicago Daily Tribune, a popular newspaper, had an interesting article entitled "A White Slave" in an 1856 issue. A white female slave had escaped from Missouri and was given refuge by two Germans in Illinois. Slave catchers captured the girl and arrested the Germans despite their claim that they thought her to be free because she was white. One German escaped, the other was jailed. Quoting from the Quincy Republican, the newspaper which first reported the story, the Tribune declared, "You see the legitimate, the unavoidable fruits of the Slave system in our sister State....Do you wish to incur for yourselves or your friends in the Territory the penalty of five years imprisonment in the Penitentiary, for the extraordinary crime of being unable to distinguish between a white free woman and a white slave?"

Antislavery newspapers published and read in the North contained articles and accounts of white slavery gleaned from Southern newspapers as well as other references….White Slavery in the United States (PLATE 2), the second title on this list, was concerned exclusively with the enslavement of white people in the South… Items concerning white slaves and white slavery were often printed on the front page. A sampling of such articles includes "A White Girl Kidnapped and Sold as a Slave" which involved being lured to New Orleans under false pretenses; "White Woman Sold as a Slave" where Violet Ludlow was sold several times despite her legitimate claim that she was white; "A White Girl Nearly Sold Into Slavery" which related how an orphan named Madeline, "aged about nine years...a lovely girl, delicately formed, white as the purest of Circassian race," was to be sold at auction but was reprieved with the intention "that a Jury shall pass upon her blood." "The Sally Miller Case" told readers about how eleven jurors found the defendant to be a white German girl, "while one insisted on believing her to be a colored woman, a slave by birth, and rightfully the property of the demandants." An untitled piece related the story of how a young white boy was kidnapped and was about to be auctioned off when his father appeared on the scene, grabbed him, and exclaimed, "My child a slave? a slave? Have you dared to seize and sell a white child?"

There were other interesting accounts as well. An article entitled "Curious Case of White Slavery" appeared in the National Era, wherein a teenage girl with white parents was sold as a Negro slave by her father and was rescued by her mother. In speaking of Georgia where the event had occurred, the newspaper said, "This fact proves that white slavery in Georgia is not so uncommon that a case of it is likely to excite any remark....Slavery has no 'prejudice against color.' " Another piece was entitled "Woman, Apparently White, Surrendered to Slavery" and had to do with a woman named Pelasgie who was claimed as a fugitive slave even though she had been living as a free person for more than twelve years. In "An Arkansas White Girl Sold as a Slave," Alexina Morrison's lawyer argued that she "had not claimed her freedom because she had brown hair, or fair skin, or blue eyes, but because she had been born free, and was kidnapped." Likewise, in "White Slavery in Alabama," readers were told of a white girl from Georgia named Patience Hicks who was kidnapped and sold into slavery. Three different accounts were presented in an article entitled "White Slavery." In the first, a seven-year-old white boy named Washington was placed in the care of a Negro woman when his mother became ill. He was subsequently kidnapped and sold into slavery. In the second, an aristocratic Virginia couple had an illegitimate love-child named Eliza who was placed in Negro quarters and raised there from infancy. She was subsequently sold as a slave. In the third, a white girl was purchased out of slavery for $400 and then freed.

Good Job...

I didn't think of that site. :clap:

Have to study for my COMPTIA A+ Certification. Gotta get into making the big bucks, so I can surf this site more. lol

I'll download this info tomorrow, so I can do a journal entry regarding this.

biracial children

Another possible answer is given in the movie "Mandingo" where the baby born of a white slave owner's wife and a Black Man was killed at birth, Jenny

Mandingo?

JenniferB said:
Another possible answer is given in the movie "Mandingo" where the baby born of a white slave owner's wife and a Black Man was killed at birth, Jenny

Goddam! Would u believe I have still not seen that movie? I got to check that one out too!

It would not surprise me that the child would be killed. Why leave evidence of adultery that would humilitate some people and get others killed?

Oh, I See!

JenniferB said:

Just an abortion, oh, okay I understand now.

Looks Are everything

RedNeckWM said:

Look around you. Then look in the mirror. Pretty is acceptable. Ugly is not.

Perception is always 9/10th's the law. Public shame and ridicule is a very

powerful motivator. If I throw my wife out, I have to tell everyone that a

Slave snuck into my bed. That is a family secret. Same as If I knocked up a

few of my slaves. That is preceived as helping production and not a shameful

Act. My wife on the other hand has a choice. If the baby looks white then

the secret is easier kept. The darker the baby the less acceptable the child.

Remember, color is the rule and Black is ugly. Your question is more relavant

today as it relates to how society precieves race. Back then the darker

Slaves worked the field, menial labor. The lighter slaves worked the house,

kitchen. The slaves who looked like the master were more likely allowed to

be closer and allowed to do personal task and even become oversearers.

Black, Brown, Mulotto, High Yellow, Ofay, Cream, Blacks come in various

and different shades, Even White.

re:Mandingo

Dear Master Earl...it was a novel first, then a movie. Not sure who the author was but it was sort of a plantation romance novel but a little more graphic. jen

Users who are viewing this thread