'Mind-reading machine' can convert thoughts into speech

• Thread starterWifeLuver
  • Start date

WifeLuver

Slut Lover!
Beloved Member
Dec 13, 2006
A mind reading machine is a step closer to reality after scientists discovered a way of translating people's thoughts into words.

brain_1710627c.jpg

Researchers have been able to translate brain signals into speech using sensors attached to the surface of the brain for the first time. The breakthrough, which is up to 90 percent accurate, offers a way to communicate for paralyzed patients who cannot speak and could eventually lead to being able to read anyone's thoughts.

"We were beside ourselves with excitement when it started working," said Professor Bradley Greger, a bioengineer at Utah University who led the team of researchers. "It was just one of the moments when everything came together. We have been able to decode spoken words using only signals from the brain with a device that has promise for long-term use in paralyzed patients who cannot now speak. I would call it brain reading and we hope that in two or three years it will be available for use for paralyzed patients."

The experimental breakthrough came when the team attached two button sized grids of 16 tiny electrodes to the speech centres of the brain of an epileptic patient. The sensors were attached to the surface of the brain The patient had had part of his skull removed for another operation to treat his condition. Using the electrodes, the scientists recorded brain signals in a computer as the patient repeatedly read each of 10 words that might be useful to a paralyzed person: yes, no, hot, cold, hungry, thirsty, hello, goodbye, more and less.

Then they got him to repeat the words to the computer and it was able to match the brain signals for each word 76 percent to 90 percent of the time. The computer picked up the patient's brain waves as he talked and did not use any voice recognition software. Because just thinking a word - and not saying it - is thought to produce the same brain signals, Prof Greger and his team believe that soon they will be able to have translation device and voice box that repeats the word you are thinking.

'Mind-reading machine' can convert thoughts into speech - Telegraph

There goes privacy. I can see the thought police force knocking at the door now. Or in court mr. Smith your thoughts were such and such at this moment.Any new technology that comes out the government get its hands on it first.Follow the money and I bet that the government was the funding source for this project specifically the company aka C. I. A.

Last edited by a moderator: